3/18/2013

Blaze of Sorrow - Echi (2012)

'Echi' (or echoes if you prefer an English translation) is my first experience with this Italian band that has been active since 2007. With a few published demos as well as two previous full-length albums, throughout the years Blaze of Sorrow has largely been the solo work of Peter, though drummer N. joined for this latest release, which may mean earlier efforts made use of a drum machine, but I can't say for sure since I haven't heard them.

At any rate, 'Echi' offers up atmospheric post-ish black metal somewhat comparable to bands like Fen, October Falls, Janvs and Alcest, mostly due in part to the frequent use of acoustic passages and melancholic melodies amongst the usual blackened chaos.

The music seems to revolve around those traits often times switching between the acoustics and more melodic sections with speedier bursts of blasting drums and tremolo picked guitars, while Peter occasionally screams and calmly speaks in Italian. Each of the eight songs are a delight, especially the speedier opener, 'All'Ignoto' or the rather melancholic 'Empatia,' which follows it. 'Il Soffio Del Sole' may just stand out as my favorite though, as it has everything that makes Blaze of Sorrow an immense band, but then again the title track is really something to behold too. Either way, I found that it rarely matters if the music is fast or slow, Echi is just so well wrote that just about every moment of this album is pleasing to the ear and quite atmospheric under the right conditions.

I also admire the album cover and the fact that the red and blue colors are continued throughout the booklet and the nature photos within. I'm not sure if nature is a theme discussed through their lyrics, but the bands appreciation is evident through their imagery, and as such this really is a fantastic release to experience while under snowy or autumn conditions.

This being my first taste of Blaze of Sorrow I can only conclude that I am pleased with 'Echi' greatly. The mixture of dissonance with melody and emotion is agreeable and genuine, totally solidifying myself as a new fan of their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment