3/01/2013

Koldvoid - Roadside Ghosts (2012)

Dreamy, gorgeous, melancholy and vivid - just a few words I'd quickly toss out to describe this solo project of Rob from Romania on Valse Sinistre Productions. Were dealing with ambient music here on 'Roadside Ghosts,' though hardly the more typical dark droning sort, but rather a much more melodic and cinematic variety reminding me of the best moments of Tor Lundvall, raison d'être, Dahlia's Tear, Ulver, Northaunt and even some of the Ildjarn ambient excursions. The whole vibe of the record is of very despondent character - perhaps a gateway into the artists deepest thoughts and feelings, but at no point sounding cheesy or fake, but rather totally honest and engaging the whole way through. Each song feels like its telling a story, which makes the experience very soundtrack-ish in its delivery. Just before writing this I finished watching a movie called, 'Stay,' which I thought was just fantastic, and I'm finding myself re-imagining the movie with this music behind it now. Stunning.

You'll also find smidgens of piano and guitar making their appearance on 'Roadside Ghosts,' as well as some very minor noisy/experimental tendencies and sampled voices/sounds here and there. Interestingly this fifty three minute record didn't seem as long as it really was. I'd attribute that to the musics ability to just totally absorb me and take me into its own little world where I lose myself for its duration.

Notably a lot of other reviews have suggested that this sounds similar to David Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti's work on the 'Twin Peaks' series, though I've never watched it and can't confirm this comparison, but its probably safe to say that similarities are there.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with this debut record and look forward to what Rob comes up with next. Additionally Koldvoid has two EPs and two splits available, which I hope to hear someday too.

No comments:

Post a Comment